Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Let's Get Real

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html?cnn=yes

I get really tired of the assumption by "researchers" that parents put their kids in front of the TV because we think it's going to make them smarter. I mean, come on. We put them in front of the TV because we just got home from the grocery store and it's 11:45 and they're hungry and cranky and we need 15 minutes to put up the groceries and fix lunch. THEN we'll read. Is that too much to ask? Please, no more studies.

(Disclaimer: I can pretty much guarantee that I spend more time reading to my kids than they spend watching TV.)

3 comments:

Angela Robinson said...

Perfect timing. I just read another post bemoaning how terrible Baby Einstein is for kids' language development...hmmmm...Norah's speech seems to be moving along at a pretty advanced rate, and she loved Baby Einstein. And you are absolutely right...I never stick her in front of the tv as a means of "education" for the day (that's what our reading and flashcard time is for)...it is totally a "stall tactic" around here.

Glad I'm not the only mom on the planet who's sick of senseless studies.

Lesley said...

When I have kids, I will NEVER let them watch TV (pause for the reaction from moms heard 'round the world before saying...) I'm KIDDING! I'm actually wondering what their "control" group was that they compared the TV-watching kids to. I mean, what kid doesn't ever watch ANY TV? We watched TV when we were kids and I think we all started having plenty to say pretty early on, so their language development argument is not a good one.

And seriously, before anyone says something like "If I could only count the number of things I said I wouldn't do as a parent BEFORE I had children..." that really was a joke.

Beck Boys said...

With you on this one. We read a lot but there are just times when I need a break and the TV is great helper around the house. I don't know who they were testing but I would like to meet some of those people.