Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Bonnie doings, Erin's pathetic thoughts

In Bonnie news, she can now raise her arms and tell us she is "so big."

OK, on to my inner self. Let me put a disclaimer that this is really a silly thing to write about and if you're going to make fun of me just skip reading it. That said, let me first explain that normally I clean the kitchen five, no six, times per day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, kid dinner, adult dinner) while Josh is in football/basketball season. And most of these cleanings involve not just doing dishes but crumb/sticky mess cleanup around booster chairs and the table. Here's the sad part: I find myself EACH TIME thinking, "Well, should I do the dishes and then clean the table or clean the table and then do the dishes?" It comes down to the question of which is more satisfying to do as the last thing. I think I feel better when the last thing I do is wipe down the table and chairs, but then all of a sudden a thought will creep in that doesn't it feel great to wipe down the sink after starting the dishwasher as the very last thing, or maybe start the dishwasher and then wipe the sink. So is my brain bored and I'm stretching for imaginary life problems? Should I start doing the New York Times crossword or maybe some sudoku? Maybe I should pick up an algebra book and make sure I can still do the problems in there. Does anyone else think about things like this? Oh, and what is the best way to clean the kitchen?

6 comments:

Angela Robinson said...

LOL---I can totally relate! I had similar thoughts just this morning. Mine were--I'll empty the dishwasher...then have breakfast. But then after it was empty, I spied a dirty dish on the table, accompanied by an abandoned cup, and several other used utensils in the sink. So I thought, "I'll load the dishwasher, then have breakfast". Of course, after the dishwasher was loaded and there were no dirty dishes lying around, I realized my countertops needed a good wipe down...it reminded me of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie", actually. I did finally eat my breakfast (which was toast, not cookies, by the way).

Glad to know I'm not the only one with inner-debates about kitchen cleaning (and numerous other random-osities throughout the day). I personally think it stems from our missing adult conversation, so our brain just makes it with itself.

Lesley said...

I wouldn't recommend crosswords. I got Chad a book of them for a stocking stuffer and we are realizing how stupid we are. It's just frustrating. I would stick with math problems and sudoku which is fun and you can actually get better at. As for cleaning the kitchen, I'm not going to give any advice, because I'm assuming that question was not aimed at me since you've seen my kitchen before and you're much better at cleaning than I am. So, I'll let other people answer that one for you. These comments are making me think I should have more of an inner dialogue about what to clean first, since I obviously don't have that conversation very often, judging from the looks of my house.

erin said...

But Lesley, my point was that I need something ELSE to think about since having an inner dialogue about what to clean first is just dumb.

Me said...

I can also relate, though less so now than in the past....these days it feels like there is so much going on that it's "Will I get the kitchen cleaned today?" rather than the order to do it in. Don't beat yourself up about your seemingly "dull" existence...enjoy it. Wait til those two kiddos are involved in everything under the sun and every neighborhood child wants to be at your house every day after school.

sarahdawn said...

My solution would be to have a third child. Then you will be so busy you'll be lucky to clean it once a day and so tired that you won't care what order it gets done in. :-)

emma said...

Erin I just started reading this blog today and this post really struck home to me...gave me a good giggle. I say do some Sudoku...on Yahoo games that have a great one! I do one every day and I think I'm staving off demetia! Isn't it sad sometimes the things we think of while doing the same chore for the one millionth time. By the way, last night in my dreams I had to work to huge algebra problems but they were written on a chalk board that was really far away and I couldn't see it very well....what does that mean?