Wednesday, September 23, 2009

5

Today is Kellen's fifth birthday, but we have been in birthday mode for a few days (weeks? months?) now. Since last year's birthday was sidetracked by Ike, I was determined to give him a big party this year, especially since I knew he would notice every little detail now that he is old enough. He requested a Lighting McQueen (from the movie Cars) theme. So, I looked up cake directions, came up with party games, I spent time in Michael's, people. Ahem. Anyway, of course, he came down with a little virus the Friday before the party. No school, party cancelled, bummer. Thankfully Josh's folks were still able to come down, and Kellen was feeling well enough on Saturday for us to go ahead with a little celebration. He had told me that he wanted a surprise party, so we all hid behind the couch and he went in his room. I called him to come out and he said, "What?" like he had seriously forgotten. Here's his face when we yelled "Surprise!"
I went ahead and made the racetrack cake.
His favorite gift was a remote controlled car, which he had requested.

Today I went up to school to eat lunch with K and his little class. There are 8 of them and they are pretty precious. Here they are playing "Monkey See, Monkey Do" before lunch. Mrs. B is definitely a sport.
Being sung "Happy Birthday" to in the dining hall:
Have you ever seen a child happier to have their picture taken?
I also got to stay for recess and then read books to the class before rest time and that was lots of fun. Kellen said something about it being really cool when your mom comes and reads books.

Coming on Friday: our first field trip.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Tell K happy birthday for us! Hope you have fun on the big field trip tomorrow!!

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

No way... is he really 5... are we really old enough to have such big kids.... going on 16... wish I could see you more... Happy BDay to K.

Lesley said...

Love the last picture. Happy birthday Kellen. We love you!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday K!