Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Recipe

I'm almost sure this will be the last time I take the time to post a recipe on my blog, but I had to share this one with you because it's yummy, pretty healthy, and my kids will eat it (they're pretty picky, but Kellen will even eat broccoli if it is in this recipe). The trifecta. Also, the leftovers are great.

Sesame Noodles with Chicken and Broccoli (Kellen calls it Peanut Butter Noodles and Chicken)

Makes 4 generous servings

1 bunch of broccoli, cut into one-inch florets
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Oriental sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper, to taste*
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast pieces, cooked and cubed or shredded
1/2 box pasta**

1. In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook broccoli until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain into colander and rinse until cool; drain well.

2. Combine peanut butter and water in a blender or food processor; mix until smooth. Add soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and red pepper; blend.

3. Put cooked chicken in a medium bowl; add peanut-sesame sauce and toss to coat. If you have time, cover and let marinate in the fridge for 2 hours.

4. Cook and drain pasta. Add pasta and broccoli to chicken/sauce mixture. Toss and serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.

*I leave out the red pepper if kids are eating, and Josh and I just sprinkle the spicy stuff on our own servings.

**I use Barilla Plus rotini. Bonnie is not a big meat eater and that kind of pasta has extra protein.

No comments: